"I believe that if one man gains spiritually the whole world gains with him." -Mahatma Gandhi

Friday, June 24, 2011

Before Lift Off

Khusi (pronounced like Tushy, but with an H that you sort of hock up) means Happiness in Hindi.


I am packed and getting on a plane to Hong Kong and then Bangalore in less than 20 hours!  It seems pretty unbelievable at this point, but I know it is happening.  I am getting more and more excited and luckily less nervous, but I'm sure the nervousness will kick in again at the airport.  I have a 14 hour flight to Hong Kong and then a 6 hour flight to Bangalore where I will be for the next five weeks through the USAC study abroad program.  There are about 20 other students in this program where we will be attending classes at Christ College in Bangalore.

When I tell people I am going to India, they usually respond questioningly and surprised that college students actually want to go to India.  People ask why India, so I suppose I will use this as a chance to explain a little and I'm sure I will elaborate more once I am there.  My family didn't really do any international travel when my sisters and me were growing up.  Most of our vacations involved going to our house in Tahoe or visiting my aunt in San Diego.  Save for a day trip to Tiajuana when I was 8 years old, I have not traveled outside of the continental US so studying abroad is my first big opportunity to do so that is supported by my parents.  Both of my sisters studied abroad in college, Jean went to London and Mollie went to Africa.  I decided on India 3 or 4 years ago.  I'm not sure what really sparked my interest in the country, but I know that I need a real culture shock considering I spent 18 years in Petaluma and the past 3 years in San Luis Obispo, which are not known for their diversity.  From what I have read about India and from the multiple people I have talked to who have spent time there, a culture shock is what I will get along with a life changing experience.

As I mentioned, my first five weeks in India will be spent in Bangalore where I will be taking International Strategic Management (I am an International Business major), Survival Hindi, and Yoga.  My sister, Mollie, is going to join me for two weeks after my abroad program is over in the beginning of August to travel around the rest of the country.  We don't have definite plans yet on where we are going, so if anyone has any opinions, please feel free to comment.  The last two weeks I will hopefully be volunteering somewhere so as not to travel alone, which is warned against considering I still look like a 16 year old girl.

Although we were told that internet would be available in the apartment I will be staying in, I have heard it is pretty spotty so I'm not sure how often I will update.  I'm thinking of at least writing journal style and then will post when I can.  Anyway,  we will all know more in a couple days assuming I survive 20 hours on a plane!

                                         

1 comment: